Thursday, June 20, 2013

So, Just As I Was Getting Ready to Write...

...A tornado hit. Oh, the weather people aren't calling it a tornado, they're calling it a severe thunderstorm, but I was standing in the second floor bedroom watching the wind blow in at 70 mph and the hail pound in the backyard. I watched the 80 foot trees bend to touch the roof of my house.

The storm lasted a little less than an hour. When it was done, I walked down the street to my parents house because there was no power. Seven trees were down. Seven very tall, very large trees, had crashed into the back yard. They all missed the house, thank God, but they hit my father's John Deere little mower, the Agri-fab thing, and his/my new trailer for his/my mower.

My father and I took a ride to the old house, the house that I used to live in. What was usually a 12 minute trip took nearly 45 minutes. The roads were closed due to all the downed trees and power lines. Cars were crushed up the road. A house had its roof blown off. Another house had a tree right in the middle of it.

And the weather people said it was just a severe thunderstorm. Obviously they got their weather degree from Romper Room.

I started the clean up Friday morning. I've been working like a dog since then. What was the most fun was that the power wasn't restored until Saturday night at 10. I lost all the food in the fridge and let me tell you how good it felt to finally take a shower.

I have no idea how long it's going to take to clean the mess. My body feels like it's been run through a couple of rounds with Joe Frazier.

I hate the fact that I have two great stories running around in my head and I can't sit down to write them.

However, all my bitching aside, I'm grateful that nothing happened to anyone in our neighborhood. Three people did die from the storm in Wilkesboro. I'm really thankful that nothing happened to either of the houses.

I'm just disappointed that I won't be able to write any time soon. But then, this just might make it into my next book.

No comments: