Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spring Fever Part Deux

Well, I did what I said I was going to do -- clean everything, and then do yard work. Truthfully, the next house I buy is going to be an apartment. I refuse to be a slave to the lawn mower/weed-wacker any longer. Quite frankly, I'm getting too old for this crap.

However, one thing I do know is that, besides the exercise and cardio workout, my thoughts are centered on my writing. More so than when I'm actually writing.

I like this about me. I do something physical and it excites my mental. And I know this is not a new phenomenon, other people assuredly have this trait as well, but I'd like to think I'm special. *snort*

While doing all this physical labor, it has generated a new plot for "Kate", the main character in my next novel. Well, I shouldn't say new. I should say I've worked out the bugs with the old one. I've had the story in my head for a couple of years, and wrote the first chapter, and I've always known how it ends, but more importantly, how I get there.

Now, I see where I made my mistake. Too much going on that doesn't center totally around Kate. And it is her story. So I've had to cut way back on what I thought would be good secondary lines, and just keep one or two of them in there. Maybe that will give me the impetus to start writing other stories, maybe not.

I'm still in "not writing" mode. My attention span is still short, and it still revolves around Kate. I have another story I want to write, but I need to go back to Rhode Island to finish it. And it's very touch and go if we'll get there this summer. *sad face*

Anyway, some people have said that it's good to take a writing break, it cleanses the coffers of imagination. Other people have said you need to write every day. Yeah, I hear them, but I'm just not one of those people.

The gist of this post is that I hope I'll get all my yard work finished before the heavy weather moves in (meaning hot sultry North Carolina heat) and then I'll be able to sit in my air conditioning and finish Kate by the end of May. Yeah, it gets hot down here sooner rather than later.

Wish me luck.

Robynne Rand (c) 2013

No comments: