Thursday, January 28, 2016

Writing #Detective Stories

Not knowing anything about murder mysteries, I decided to write a couple. The first one was great. I wrote it in seventeen days. The second one took five. Yeah. Five days. The third one took a lot of revising. You know why.

I didn't know who the killer was.

As I said, I know nothing about writing detective murder mysteries. I'm sure the above is Rule #1.

The first two books were easy because I knew who the killer was. I just had to get there. I also wrote the third book fairly quickly until Chapter Sixteen. That's when it went off the rails. I had all these great suspects with great motives and great alibis. So good in fact, I still have no idea who killed Bunny Harrowdale.

It's either about love or money. I just have to choose.

What would you choose? Love or money?



Robynne Rand (c) 2016

2 comments:

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Love fades. Money collects interest. That is a villain speaking by the way. :-)

I write my mysteries backwards like you, knowing who the culprit is.

Robynne Rand said...

Roland -- I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm loving every minute of it. I find I like the intricacies of solving a crime. I always loved Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot.